02 January 2006

good morning prayer

lately i've been trying to read through morning prayer (rite II, courtesy of mission st. clare) every day before i get down to work -- it's both a good and hopeful grounding for the day and a way to get my mind moving before the caffeine really hits my system.

today is the day before my exam, and the old testament reading is from kings: solomon asks for the discernment to do what is right, and God, seeing that solomon is good, grants him "a wise and discerning mind; no one like you has been before you and no one like you shall arise after you." the fame, fortune and long life are incidental.

ok, so: if i sit around meditating on justice and my place in the world, do you think God will appear to me in a dream and grant me a wise and discerning mind? because honestly, i'm pretty sick of studying actual content.